Allison Stokke, Web aggregation effects and privacy2.0

If you check Web aggregators (such as del.icio.us/popular or digg) you probably heard about Allison Stokke already. She is an 18 years old pole vaulter. And she is getting a lot of unwanted attention because a photo of her (here on the left) was posted on a football message board and then was hyped by bloggers, myspacers, etc. And then the Washington post deserved devoted an entire article on the front page to her and this of course made her even more popular and web searched.

I can totally understand she and her family does not like this unwanted attention. She is an athlete and she would like to be judged on that, if anything. However I believe that somehow this unwanted attention is an opportunity for her, she has a choice, she can (1) choose to let it fade away (because I’m sure that if she does not ride the situation, this attention will fade away soon, surely in one year few people will remember her or search for her on the Web) or (2) she can decide to exploit it (I’m sure she already received offers for books, interviews, for acting in movies and possibly more weird things that she can choose to exploit if she likes). I’m also aware that it should not be an easy period for her, I was reading that she does not feel like walking around alone.

Let me just mention passing by that it is just by pure chance that she (and not another similarly attractive athlete) got all this attention. This attention is just the product of Web aggregation. There is an interesting paper by Duncan Watts which empirically shows that, while aggregation produces items that got a lot of attention (the best sellers, top 10, etc.), in different separated worlds with the same items, the social processes will put at the top of the global attention list different items. In a different parallel world this could have been happened to you, yes you. So what happened is something that touches all of us and should make all of us think about it. But I guess this is not a relief for her and her family.

Personally, I think that you cannot control what other people tell about you, and this is become more and more true in the Internet age. I’m used to summarize it with “it’s the direction of the arrow, stupid!”, meaning that you can control what you say about other people (outgoing arrows) but you cannot control what other people say about you (incoming arrows). It is the reason by which PageRank algorithm is so clever and HITS algorithm is not so clever. I’m aware this can sometimes turn into bashing and horrible periods for some people but I think this is also a great opportunity for society and the risks can be mitigated if anyone is educated about this and slow in judging.

The last point I want to briefly mention is about privacy, especially privacy in time of web2.0. Is it ethical for me to write this post knowing that she does not like this attention? Is it ethical for the Washington Post writing an article about her? Is there any difference? I’m not sure about the first 2 questions but I believe that the answer to the third question is “no”. WithLeather asks her/his/itself How would I feel if it were my daughter that got this unwanted attention? Well, I suppose I would be upset but I think I don’t have the right to ask to all the people to not write about, I might ask for their comprehension on reporting facts accurately or to defer from speaking about this. Don’t know. And more, There should be a Wikipedia page about Allison Stokke or not?

What is great about blogging is that it helps you ask yourself lots of questions. Another advantage of this post is also that I can now check the access statistics to see if this post becomes the most read post just because it contains in the title the name of a buzzed girl and it is related to sex.

Subscribe to RSS Feed If you enjoyed reading this, subscribe to my RSS Feed
(you can always unsubscribe later)

16 Responses to this post.

1. Name (required)'s Gravatar

Posted by Name (required) on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 Windows XP

“Deserved”? Devoted?

2. paolo's Gravatar

Posted by paolo on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.7 RedHat Linux

yep, thanks a lot for the suggestion! I corrected the error in the post!
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!!

3. new orleans mold treatment's Gravatar

Posted by new orleans mold treatment on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.71 Windows 8

By re-arranging thee brickwork on that particular area with watter rspellent treatment will help onne to solkve
    the problem. Fungi, of whose novel iis fungus, are a kingdom of eukaryotic organisms.

My sire … new orleans mold treatment

4. yelp.Com's Gravatar

Posted by yelp.Com on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72 Windows 8

After all, soon after the mold is found it can be gotten
    rid of. Your eyes are your greatest asset if you take a look at used pop-up campers for sale.
    In fact, somee of these presented could encompass
    to shape cleaning.

Here is my page :: yelp.Com

5. edgar online's Gravatar

Posted by edgar online on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.52 Linux

Therefor, you reqquire to have a qualification to posssess any chance
    to obtain managerial assignment. If so, it’s not as difficult as you may think or was probably lead to contemplate.

Also visit my web blog – edgar online

6. http://businessfinder.Cleveland.Com/'s Gravatar

Posted by http://businessfinder.Cleveland.Com/ on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.52 Ubuntu Linux

Assist in discussing the students problems or even help them out.
    You won’t have significantly free time as you think.
    There’s a constant demand for qualified surgeons and physicians in the states.

my web siute http://businessfinder.Cleveland.Com/

7. charlotte mold inspection's Gravatar

Posted by charlotte mold inspection on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Internet Explorer 7.0 Windows XP

Getting a humidifier may prevent the humidity levels fom getting to high.
    There are some common insects which have an inclination to
    snack away at our roses. A heightened temperature stimulates the immune system to
    fight off the illness.

my blog post … charlotte mold inspection

8. S. Valnes's Gravatar

Posted by S. Valnes on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Internet Explorer 9.0 Windows 7

This will take about 3-4 hours, so allocate time subsequently.
    If it is previously middle, the section iss level. A real estate Broler must
    oversee product sales associates as well listings.

Have a look att my web page … S. Valnes

9. Sell Annuity Payments's Gravatar

Posted by Sell Annuity Payments on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Android Browser Android 2.2

Usually, you’ll find yourself giving a number of your hard earned money to the IRS.
    This decreases the risk for both you and the purchase organization.

Every investment has advantages and drawbacks.

my site: Sell Annuity Payments

10. http://yelp.com/'s Gravatar

Posted by http://yelp.com/ on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 27.0.1453.110 Mac OS X 10.8.4

personal rights, closet of property, scan of property, leases andd much considerably.

Due to this, some businesses find it difficult to cope
    with alterations.

Look into my web-site http://yelp.com/

11. newark post online's Gravatar

Posted by newark post online on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.52 Ubuntu Linux

The particular right program iss extremely. What it does, in particularly, is zinc increases your as well as suppresses
    you appetite. Hence it is kind of important assist the body in proper shape.

Here is myy page … newark post online

12. genus Polemonium's Gravatar

Posted by genus Polemonium on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 27.0.1453.110 Windows 7

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your website?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
    could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for
    only having 1 or 2 images. Maybe you could space it
    out better?

13. Peter Popoff's Gravatar

Posted by Peter Popoff on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Internet Explorer 6.0 Windows XP

That way, can pay ones own medical bills and so meet other loans.
    However, an proficient atorney can help you negotiate a fabulous plea bargain.

Here is my page :: Peter Popoff

14. best ipad apps retina display's Gravatar

Posted by best ipad apps retina display on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Mozilla Firefox 22.0 Mac OS X 10

And now I get the strategy to jailbreak your iPhone.

15. kik for pc download free's Gravatar

Posted by kik for pc download free on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72 Windows XP

But I am ok with that; it hasn’t tested costly…
    However. Then from the whatsapp.com site-you then get the whatsappAPK android document.

They don’t allow outside light to prohibit the outside view
    and enter the area.

16. Julianne's Gravatar

Posted by Julianne on 29.08.07 at 3:48 am

Mozilla Firefox 13.0.1 Windows XP

The iPhone 3G, Mobile and the iPhone 4 all were released in June, during Apple’s developer conference (WWDC).
    Competition is brutal as well, and that means you will need
    to have some strong financial backing.

Respond to this post

mcdonald army health centermetronidazole online